A webinar on making money by blogging

I found this webinar (or rather, it found me) through an email I received from Freedom with Writing.  It is a great little company that sends me notifications about ways to make money by writing.  I have found some great writing contests with them, as well as tons of publications accepting submissions for different articles or stories.   If you like to write, I recommend checking them out. 

I missed the live webinar, but was able to listen to it a couple hours later. 

The first thing the webinar said was that the best way to make money with blogging is to NOT have your own blog, but rather write guest blogs for other websites.   Great.  Not what I wanted to hear. 

I almost turned it off, but I decided to keep it on in the background as I worked on other things.  I'm glad I did because I actually got some good tips.

Overall they were plugging their 3 week long course on blogging, but I was surprised by how much information they gave freely about how to pitch posts, find blogs, and get paid.  It was pretty helpful information.

I think it is a great idea to be a guest blogger, or to blog regularly for a publication that is already established and has a following, I did it for 5 years.  It was a great job, and I loved it.  But, on top of the fact that it paid next to nothing, there were some issues with this.  Like the fact that it is not a steady income.  I mean what happens if you can't book a blog or enough blogs to pay the bills?  Or what happens if the publication decides, out of the blue, to bring their writers in house and you live in a different state?  -If you couldn't tell, that's what happened to me.  Well, then you're out a job, and an income. 

The whole point of me starting my own blog, is so that I can be my own boss.  I can choose what and when to write.  Also, I can add to it in any way I want.  There are no boundaries.  So I am not regretting my decision to start my own blog despite the overall message that that is a lot of work, and a bad idea.

I guess I can fall back on guest blogging if my blog doesn't pay off!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Locked out

My money blog journey

How to build a website