Getting started

Here's what I know about what you need to make money with a blog:

You need a good idea that interest people.

You need to get a lot of people to view your blog (Pinterest, Facebook and Instagram are key for getting viewers).

You can make money through advertising and affiliate marketing.  You can also create a course or sell a product, two things I am not interested in doing.

Now that the footprint is laid, it's time to fill in the details.

Probably the hardest part for me was deciding what to write a blog about. 

On one hand, everyone says "find your niche" find something you're passionate about and something that you're knowledgeable about.

On the other hand, I've read the most profitable blogs are about money, health, or beauty, but I'm not an expert on any of those things.   Lifestyle blogs came in fourth as a semi-profitable category, mainly because "lifestyle" is super vague and can be just about anything.  But, I do have a skill that falls in the lifestyle category, and that is my knowledge of all things Disney. 

I've played around with different Disney inspired things, but the one idea that got the most ground was my podcast.  I started The Disney Dos and Don'ts Podcast in June of 2018.  So far (about 4 months later) I don't have any followers except myself.   I have done 0 marketing and put no effort into this podcast except advertising it on my personal Facebook page and changing my instragram account to thedisneydosanddontspodcast (its a mouthful I know) and posting one Disney picture a day with a cute caption or fun fact about Disneyland.   And that's it.  But, I really do love Disney, and since I live 20 minutes away from the Disneyland Resort, that is where I've set my focus.  People are always asking me for advice on what to do, where to stay, etc, so I think it is about time to put all my knowledge to good use.

Now that I have my "niche" I now needed a good domain name.  I tried several different names.  I know names are important.  It had to be something catchy (The Disney Dos and Don'ts Podcast is way too long, and the apostrophes are just confusing) it needs to roll off the tongue, be memorable, not too long, or tricky.  After a lot of tries, I finally decided on Daily Disney Living. 

Deciding what direction this blog will take has not really been decided yet.  I mentioned before I love to do video blogs (vlogs) and podcasts, so I know I want to be able to have links to my podcast and You Tube channels, but so far that is all I know.

Now that I have the very basics for my blog, it's time to pick a website to launch on.  This is where it gets real.  Where I have to pay money and post my first blog!!

Check out my next post to see who I went with.

Money spent: $0
Money earned: $0

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Locked out

My money blog journey

How to build a website